Section 1
 
Locales:  1. Village of Alt-Pasua  2.  Village of Neu-Pasua  3. Village of Woika 
 
History of These Locales

Neu-Pasua, A Short Homeland Book
By Mathias Huber

Translated by Henry Fischer,
Edited by Rose Vetter

    Alt-Pasua was established with the settlement of Slovaks from Upper Hungary (present-day Slovakia) in 1770, and Neu-Pasua came into existence in 1790/1791 with the settlement of Germans whose origins were in Württemberg.  Before the founding of Neu-Pasua, Alt-Pasua was simply known as Pasua.  A portion of the village of Alt-Pasua was previously settled by Serbs.  Woika (now known as Vojka) has existed since time immemorial, farther back than Roman times.
 
   The inhabitants of Alt and Neu-Pasua are Lutheran.  The first are Slovaks and the latter Germans.  As mentioned previously a portion of the residents in Alt-Pasua are Serbs.  The inhabitants of Woika are Slavs of Orthodox and Uniat faith.  The occupation of the inhabitants is farming and cattle herding.  Up until twenty years ago immigration played a prominent role.  The population rose sharply:
 
  1.  Alt-Pasua numbered                1,563 males    1,499 females          Slovaks
                                                    403 males      376 females          Serbs
 
  2.  Neu-Pasua numbered                  742 males      764 females         Germans
 
  3.  Woika                                  1,355 males     1,314 females         Slavs
 
  Alt-Pasua had one Lutheran Church, one Greek Orthodox and one Uniat Church; one Public School and one Military School.
 
  Neu-Pasua had one Lutheran Church and a Public School operated by the congregation.
 
  Woika had a centuries’ old solid church, which was in need of repairs in 1857 due to its dilapidated condition, one Public School and from 1811-1822 a German school operated there.
 
Industries:

  None of the three locales had any local industries.  Alt-Pasua has four better class stores:  House Petrovic has a variety of goods and a license to sell liquor; a silk spinning operation; a brickworks and cattle trading.  The town has two annual market days.  Since 1822 Alt-Pasua has become Company Headquarters.  Prior to that time it was in Woika. 
 
The Geographical Location of the Three Locales
 

  The three communities are situated in the corner where the Danube and Sava Rivers meet.  There is a slope from the north to the south.  There are no creeks, lakes or forests.  Woika lies at the lowest level of the slope.  All three locales fall under the political, judicial and military authority of the Peterwardein Regiment with its headquarters in Mitrowitz. 
 
Authorities and Public Offices
 
  The Company Headquarters, a post office, German, Slovak and Serbian schools are all located in Alt-Pasua.  In Neu-Pasua there is a secondary military Headquarter while in Woika there is one with a higher degree of authority.  There are established church parishes in all three locales. 
 
State of the Roads and Travel

   In all three locales there are streets, but they are without a foundation or base.  They are  32 metres wide with a ditch on both sides and side streets, leading from one locale to the other.  During the summer months they are good to travel on, but during the winter and at times of sustained rainy weather they are very bad.  The postal route leads from Peterwardein to Alt- and Neu-Pasua towards Semlin.  There are no railways or canals.

Mountains
 
  There are no mountains or any high elevations. 
 
Landscape
 
  There is no exceptional scenic landscape scenery because of the lack of any valley formations. 
 
Water Resources
 
  There are no water reservoirs outside of the marshes around Woika.

[Published at DVHH.org 18 Aug 2009]

Next: Section III: Condition of the Acreage; Produce and Businesses; Livestock Rearing; Trade and Commerce; Trade in Iron; Trade in Horned Cattle

 

DVHH.org © 2003-2012 Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands, a Nonprofit Corporation
Last Updated: 02 Apr 2012
Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive